Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Managing God's money by Randy Alcorn

"God cares a great deal more about our money than most of us imagine. The sheer enormity of Scripture’s teaching on this subject screams for our attention. In fact, Jesus says more about how we are to view and handle money and possessions than about any other topic—including both heaven and hell. In Managing God's Money, Randy Alcorn breaks down exactly what the Bible has to say about how we are to handle our money and posessions in a simple, easy-to-follow format. Filled with Scripture references, Managing God's Money is the perfect reference tool for anyone who is interested in gaining a solid biblical understanding of money, possessions, and eternity."

I just struggled my way throught his book. It was a struggle for many reasons: 1) It's summer and I just can't get into reading right now. 2) I am at my parents for a long visit and have much to do, but only a short time to read and review this book.  and 3) I call it conviction, my daughter calls it "a really boring book judging by the title"..teenagers!. We all know that conviction can really make us want to hide and avoid things.

As I read this book I underlined and dog-earred many pages so that I can go back and reread those specific areas that I thought applied to me personally. These questions for example:  In spending money am I acting as if it is mine or God's?  What scripture passage requires me to spend in this was? Can I offer up this purchase as a sacrifice to God?  This book goes over many areas, he has split them into 6 sections with 22 total sub-sections. He covers subjects such as: ownership,  stewardship, materialism,  giving, wise handling of God's money( for he points out in this book that it IS all God's afterall.) and how to teach our children to handle money.

It is defintiely a good book and one that could be taught in classes at churches. There is no "soap boxing" or "brow beating" from Randy Alcorn and he backs everything up with scripture. I will reread this book again later this fall and then donate it to my church.

 Tyndale House Publishers has provided me a complimentary copy of this book and does not require a positive review.

No comments:

Post a Comment