Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Courageous by Randy Alcorn




This book is a novelization written by Randy Alcorn based on a screenplay the Kendrick brothers wrote. They are the creators of Fireproof. This book is about four policemen who learn that they need to do more than just serve and protect their town, but also their families. That God has called them to rise up and be men of God and teach their children the ways of God. To be honorable men who hold up high standards and expect nothing less. These men encourage each other to be "courageous" enough to live up to God's standards regardless of what others may say around them. To hold each other accountable.

This book also deals with the everyday worries of policemen and their families. How, many families break up over the high stress of their jobs and that these men need to hold strong and fight for their families.  It deals with the overwhelming facts that children who grow up without fathers are often easily led into doing wrong because they have no role models to show them otherwise.

I really enjoyed this book and it has made me realize that had it not been for the prayers and discipline of my own dad, I wouldn't be who I am today.  I am very thankful that I have a "godly" dad.

I was happy to see that much scripture was used to support this book. To show us the things God expects from us, not just fathers but mothers too, and from the children we must teach. We need to take a stand and be "courageous". We need to fight for our families and encourage others to fight for theirs.

Men, if you see a child who needs mentoring and if you feel God calling you to do so, step up and do it. Pray and ask for God's help. Women, if we see a girl who needs a godly female influence and we feel God calling us to be that influence, step up and do it. Many can go to the mission fields and lead those to Christ but what about our own backyards full of "needy" children and probably even "needy" parents, whether single or otherwise.

I know I need to do some more praying not just for my own family but for whatever needs God leads me to be "courageous" and fill.

One other note...This book, as I stated, was written based on a screenplay. The Kendrick brothers will be releasing this movie September 30th. Following in the footsteps of their other movies such as Fireproof and Facing the Giants, it should be good and I cannot wait to see it.  Here is a website to check out a clip of that film.  http://courageousthemovie.com/

Tyndale House Publishers has provided me a complimentary copy of this book and does not require a positive review

No comments:

Post a Comment